Syracuse destroyed Rutgers last night 81-59 - and make no mistake about it, every win is a good win, so T3I are certainly happy about the results, however that game didn't tell us a whole lot. Here's what this idiot learned:
* Rutgers is a TERRIBLE basketball team. Truly brutal, especially on the offensive end, they couldn't win the America East this year. I knew they were bad coming in, I just didn't know they were this bad. In the past they've always had a few guys that could really score, but they don't have anyone like Quincy Douby this year. Hell, I think Quincy from the 1970s TV show could get 10 minutes a game on this team. I'd be surprised if they win more than 2 conference games and Rutgers fans will have to wait until next year for a Big East tournament appearance.
* We had the ESPN Regional broadcast here in the Capital District with Dave Ryan (smooth, professional, SU Alum) paired with John "backyard dogfight" Celestand. This is the second game I've heard Celestand call and last night I considered repeatedly punching myself in the head because it would have been more pleasant. If there's a third time I may chug a bottle of bleach and take a nap.
* Jonny Flynn had a very good game, it was great to see him bounce back from a couple of rough performances, but please, please stop trying to dunk. He's missed more dunks this year than Darryl Watkins, and that's a record I never thought would be broken.
* Keep Donte Greene in the high post for the rest of the year - he can shoot the 15 footer, kick it out, or take it to the hole. It makes the team much harder to defend when he's there.
* The Post Standard story above makes it clear the team watched a lot of film, and you can tell it was on Arinze's mind when twice early in the game he passed the ball back out of the low post when he was one on one. He's got to do a better job recognizing the defense, but at least it shows he's trying to learn.
* There are a number of Rutgers players this morning sore as hell because Paul Harris kicked their asses last night. I truly hope it never happens, but if a Ron Artest style mele ever breaks out, when it's over there will only be one man left standing - and that's Paul Harris.
* Did I mention Rutgers is awful? Home game versus Nova this Saturday, it should tell us more about where they are at (EDITORS NOTE - I originally had this listed as a road game because I can't read a schedule and because I'm an idiot - thanks to JB for the catch). Bring on the 'cats - and let's beat them to shut John Celestand up.