For fans of the Syracuse Orange football team the big news coming out of the program today is that the schedule has officially been announced. For those too lazy to click the link, the schedule in its entirety (conference games in bold) is as follows:
• Aug. 30 at Northwestern
• Sept. 6 vs. Akron
• Sept. 13 vs. Penn State
• Sept. 20 vs. Northeastern
• Sept. 27 vs. Pittsburgh
• Oct. 11 at West Virginia
• Oct. 18 at South Florida
• Nov. 1 vs. Louisville
• Nov. 8 at Rutgers
• Nov. 15 vs. Connecticut
• Nov. 22 at Notre Dame
• Nov. 29 at Cincinnati
While it's too soon for predictions, here are few thoughts on the schedule from a season ticket holder who lives a couple of hours away.
* The first thing that jumps out at me is 4 straight weekends of home football in September. For people who live out of town, it's a tremendous pain in the ass to travel 4 weekends in a row, even if it's a relatively short distance, because you know all these damn games are going to be at noon, I haven't even worked through my Friday night induced hangover by then.
* The last time I checked, September in Central New York is still relatively pleasant, so playing an entire month of games inside when the weather is nice - how can you not get excited about that?
* It should be interesting to see how many people show up for Penn State and how many of those people are SU fans.......either way, it's good to have them back on the schedule again.
* SU has pulled off the rare feat of scheduling Northwestern and Northeastern in the same season, that's not something you see very often.
And in an effort to not be overly negative, here's a highlight video of incoming frosh Trey Fairchild - hopefully Trey and some of the fellow classmates will leave SU with more wins than losses when all is said and done: