Saying the NIT sucks is as obvious as saying Eliot Spitzer is a creep. [As a fascinating side note, his hooker turned up on a girls gone wild video - Joe Francis will be able to pay legal fees for the rest of his life with that one] Anyway, I tried to get excited for last night's Syracuse - Robert Morris game and was about as successful as the Syracuse players. It was obvious they came out a little flat and the whole thing had the feel of a pick up game you play with your younger cousin after your buddies have went home. You know you can beat him, but you're not trying that hard and if you do lose, no one really cares anyway.
Here are a few idiotic observations from last night's epic affair:
* The size advantage SU had was ridiculous, it looked at times like a high school team was matching up with a college team.
* Donte Greene shot the ball well, but if he had spent the night on the block he probably could have scored 50.
* Robert Morris Coach Mike Rice is INTENSE - I like that guy.
* I'm sick of the zone.
* Either SU and Jonny Flynn did a good job of concealing his injury that occurred at the Big East tournament, or the media that covers the team was asleep at the switch on that story - I was shocked to learn that he left MSG last week in a wheelchair.
* Kristof once again brought hustle and intensity to the floor, he never takes a minute off.
* The number of boneheaded plays this team is making at this point in the season is astounding. If I were grading them, they'd get an A for athletic ability and a D minus for basketball intelligence.
* If the season continues down this path, they'll end the Maryland game with 4 bodies on the floor.
* Obviously this team needs all the experience they can get, but they need to make it count, they were only half there last night. If they aren't going to play with intensity and urgency, they might as well shut it down for the year.
* Arinze has had a great year, I love the guy, but he needs to develop a mean streak. He's got to toss aside guys 6 incher shorter than him and attack the rim like John Daly attacks an all you can eat buffet.
* Nice job by the Central New York community, filling the lower half of the dome is a much better effort than in past years (1997 and 2002).