It's now halftime and Northwestern leads Syracuse 9-3. Here are a couple of quick thoughts on what transpired in the first half:
* The Mitch Browning lead running attack is improved over last year, as Curtis Brinkley, Doug Hogue and Delone Carter all made an impact.
* The improvement isn't going to matter if the passing game doesn't get better, and frankly it was awful in the first half. Andrew Robinson didn't even attempt a pass over 15 yards, and on the shorter balls, he wasn't very accurate. The receivers have also struggled as Lavar Lobdell and Donte Davis both dropped passes.
* Northwestern QB CJ Bacher did not have a good first half, misfiring on multiple attempts. Even so, he managed to toss one TD pass and appears to be getting in rhythm.
* Three years of poor tackling is quickly becoming 4 years of bad tackling, as SU missed a bunch of tackles in the first half.
* Still, holding Northwestern to under 10 points in the half is something I'll take.
* Arthur Jones was pretty much neutralized in the first half.
* Unless SU can find a way to effectively pass the ball, they have no chance of winning this game.