The moment you've been waiting for is finally here - I have arrived back on U.S. soil after a little sojourn in the Caribbean sun. Actually you should be begging me to get the hell out of here because during the week I was gone Syracuse went 3-0 and looked pretty damn good doing it.
Thanks to some fine - and by fine I mean absolutely terrible - work by Delta Airlines and the Montego Bay airport - it took exactly 24 hours to return home. So while it might take a couple of days to get back in the swing, let's ease back into the blogging with a few random things that are running through my still cloudy mind.
* I'd like to thank the University at Albany Great Danes for ending Vermont's season once again. Yes, we're still bitter about 2005 - since Tom Brennan brings it up 2,000 times a year in March.
* I was so fired up by the work of the Danes, I watched their conference semi-final loss to UMBC this afternoon (the 5 mile trek to the arena was far too much work) - which was a mistake. Napoleon Dynamite scored more with Summer Wheatley than Albany did this year, and their terrible offense cost them again today. It was like watching a Big 10 game, only with smaller, slower, even less athletic players. America East fever - catch it. Speaking of catching it......
* Since I'm sure you haven't heard it anywhere - T.O. is coming to Buffalo. To the Axeman and all the diehard Bills out there think of it this way: TO is the hot chick you meet 15 minutes before the bar closes. You're drunk, her body looks tight and you take her home and have a great time. However, the next morning, with a clear head you realize she's a pain in the ass who talks too much about herself, has more miles on her than you realized and may have some motives you aren't yet aware of.......oh and she also happens to have a raging case of herpes. RAGING. Good luck with that.
* According to the limited amount of ESPN I was able to sneak in on vacation, ARod, T.O. and Manny Ramirez are the only 3 guys now in participating in professional athletics. Apparently all the other fine athletes of the world have retired......
* And even if I was retired and had nothing to do, I still wouldn't give a crap about the World Baseball Classic. WHY, WHY, WHY would anyone care about this??? I care 1,000 times more about the Heineken factory in Holland than the Dutch baseball team. March is a time for brackets, beer, and too many crowd shots of Stephen Curry's mom. That's it - that's the list......If you need your baseball fix, a lazy spring training game in the Florida sun will work - Todd Jones in a dome in Canada will not.
* Paul Harris had a nice week - popcorn on Sunday, a Terrence Stansbury in game dunk on Tuesday and a double-double in the win over Marquette on Saturday. Even Chuck Norris would be impressed with that.
* In NFL news, the Philadelphia Eagles continue to stockpile mid-round draft picks, sign average players to short term contracts and let the cornerstones of the franchise sign elsewhere. Hey, at least they'll be under the salary cap that could very well disappear in 2011. You have to love Joe Banner, Jeff Lurie and Andy Reid. After 10 years together, their quest for being consistently slightly above average is right on track.
* Shaq's Twitter feed slays me on a daily basis. That's probably why a quarter of a million people have subscribed. Shaq is so entertaining these days I'm almost willing to forgive him for Kazam. Almost.
* The new, unimproved Big East tournament starts this week. With the sixth seed, Syracuse gets to play night games for however long they are in it -- which means my work week just got more productive.
* And I'll close with a quick travel story. That blurry picture you see above - that's a meal voucher that Delta gave me after our initial flight Saturday was 2 hours late, causing us to miss our connecting flight and requiring an overnight stay at a scuzzy, smelly airport Ramada in Queens. In all actuality, even with the initial delay, we still could have made our connecting flight had there been any competent Delta staff on duty at JFK Saturday night -- yes, I'm talking to you Bernardo. Anyway, the meal voucher could be used at the restaurant of the aforementioned scuzzy, smelly hotel. If you look closely you can see its for $7.00. The chicken fingers at the bar cost $17.95. Thanks Delta, thanks a lot. And go fuck yourselves.
* Ahhhh - it's good to be back.