I'm reading Donnie's latest practice report and there are random thoughts running through my brain which means one thing - it's time to share. Before we started this blog these thoughts would have floated out of my mind 10 minutes later never to surface again - now there's a record of how dumb I really am.....thank you Al Gore for inventing the internet.
* Marrone isn't happy - which makes me happy. He obviously inherited a team that for a variety of reasons isn't very good. If he was happy with what he's seen so far, we'd be screwed. This group isn't exactly the Florida Gators.
* Having to get on players to elicit performance tells us all we need to know about how the last regime had let the team grow complacent.
* After four years of what amounted to a media blackout, the coverage this year has been amazing. It feels like football season right now. A huge tip of the hat to Donnie Webb, his coverage has been top notch -- as usual.
* Setting aside all the gushing about the coaching staff for a minute - is anyone else just a little bit nervous about the fact that the term "bubble screen" has been used at least 50 times this spring? Championship teams are not built on the back of the screen game. While almost anything will be an improvement over last year's offense, Rob Spence did take some heat last year for being a conservative play caller.
* Then again defensive coordinator Scott Schafer got run out of Michigan on a rail last year he seems fan-freaking-tastic so far. In addition to media reports, I've had two separate friends attend practices and come back raving about the guy.
* Not having a reliable kicker is the equivalent of having a one night stand with a really old condom -when you need it the most, you have no idea what will happen, but it's scary either way.
* Nassib is struggling throwing the deep ball right now -- Andrew Robinson struggled throwing the deep ball in the past. The good news is that Ryan doesn't have to worry about hop steps and the pistol formation, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.
* Speaking of which, if you're not rooting for Robinson to have success as a tight end, you're as heartless as Kim Jong Il - and you're probably more of a dick.
Bonus Thoughts (at no additional charge)
* Is it too soon to start making Wang sucks jokes? Let me know, because we could go on all day with this one.
* Great find by Orange Chuck, who updates us on the career plans of Greg Paulus.