Here are a few quick observations.
* After every football game we write about how Delone Carter runs hard. After every hoop game, we'll be writing about an insane dunk from Wesley Johnson. It's a given. I can't remember a guy that's played at SU that elevates as quickly as Wes. The dude has jet packs in his sneakers.
* Jim Boeheim looks pretty damn good for a guy who just turned 65 - no homo.
* It was great to see SU make a concerted effort to get the ball down low, where they had a decided advantage. They did it through a combination of crisp ball movement and dribble penetration. These are good signs.
* I really like the attitude of this bunch. You don't see a lot of preening, grandstanding or woofing. So far, they've displayed a lunch pail attitude and good intensity. I think the Le Moyne embarrassment helped them get focused.
* SU got 16 assists out of the point guard position. Not. too. shabby. Of course it helps when your team mates aren't missing, but 16 assists is 16 assists.
* Scoop Jardine and Kris Joseph were the only two bench guys to play in the first half. It's clear that when the opponents get tougher, that is Boeheim's 7 man rotation. Unless there's foul trouble, or Mookie Jones or James Southerland emerges as the season progresses, get used to seeing these guys on the floor.
* We'd like to welcome Andy Rautin's jump shot back to the dome. It was a welcome sight and will certainly be needed this year.
Take it away coach.
|Syracuse vs. Robert Morris basketball: Coach Jim Boeheim|