Time Warner Cable, we love your SU Sports Time Capsule presentations. Tonight from January 14th, 1996 the eventual Final Four bound Orangemen hosted the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. The good guys would go on to win 81-80. Cuse fans know the names of that '96 title game team well: Wallace, Sims, Janulis, Reafsnyder, Burgan, Cipolla, and Hill. Settling in for the first half I was blown away by Coach Boeheim's first half rotation which included playing time for Elimu Nelson, David Patrick, Bobby Lazor, and Elvir Ovcina. Heck, at the 6:24 mark of the first half Donovan McNabb checked in. Jimmy went 12 deep in the FIRST HALF of a Big East game. We're not talking garbage time in a blowout.
Hosting tonight's telecast was the Time Warner (then SUper Sports) announcing team of Beth Mowins and Vera Jones. Mowins found her way to ESPN where she's called college football, softball and WNBA action. Former Orangewomen and 1988 Big East Player of the Year Jones is now making her rounds in the motivational speaker world.
Some random thoughts on that '96 team:
* Was there a player who fell down more than Todd Burgan? Seriously this guy saw the floor more than my Swiffer Wet Jet.
* You had to love Z Sims...local kid, waited his turn and took the Orange to the title game.
* That old Dome floor looks really dated now. Of course this game is 15 years old (damn I'm getting old) so that's understandable.
* Otis Hill looks like he'd be a really fun guy to hang out with.
* I really thought John Wallace would have a decent run in the NBA.
* Marius Janulis looks like he's really good at math.
* Tim Higgins thought he was the star of the game even back in 1996.
Jason, show 'em: