|The Syracuse season comes to an end|
The game was a microcosm of the entire Syracuse year -- a team of talented players made more mental errors than their physical talents could overcome, and ultimately that's why they won't be playing in Newark next weekend.
In a sickening replay of the two team's January match up, Marquette made a huge three pointer at the end of the game and Syracuse wasn't able to respond, settling for a contested Scoop Jardine three point shot that never had a chance of going in. No go-to guy ever really emerged this year and in the end, that sealed the team's fate. I'll do a season recap later this week, here are a couple of quick thoughts on the game:
- Basketball is a simple game on paper. Executing is another matter. You can't turn the ball over 18 times and expect to win.
- Great offensive game for Dion Waiters, he stepped up big time on the offensive end after Brandon Triche got injured early in the second half. He still needs to do a better job of playing defense with his feet.
- You watched the game, it was a rough night for Scoop. Let's leave it at that.
- Fab Melo was hyper-aggressive, bordering on criminal out there. He picked up 3 fouls in 5 minutes of play and it could have been more.
- Kris Joseph, the dumb intentional foul aside, really worked hard on defense and hit the glass hard, something he didn't do every game this year.
- According to tweets from the Post Standard crew, Baye Keita was sick and didn't play much.
- James Southerland made a couple of big shots in the first half, but once again couldn't find the mark from long range in half two.
- Obviously it wasn't the way we all wanted to see Rick Jackson go out. You will be missed big fella. You have the heart of a champion.
- Buzz Williams knew that to win the game he'd have to make it a rock fight. It worked.
- The committee did SU no favors by giving them a Big East team in the second round.
- Can college basketball PLEASE institute the half circle under the hoop where you can't take a charge like the NBA does? The amount of charges in college basketball is out of control.
- The end of the season is never fun - it's what makes the beginning of next year seem so far away.