|A lot of guys got into the Syracuse - Fordham game|
The Syracuse Orange opened the 2011-12 basketball season by crushing the Fordham Rams Saturday in the Dome. The game went actually went down to the wire as the Orange were 26 point favorites and won by 25. The lesson - gambling makes everything better. SU was expected to win easily and did, so that's a good sign. Here are a few quick observations:
- We know the team is deep, but I was pleasantly surprised to see James Southerland play so many minutes. They weren't garbage minutes either as he played extensively in the first half, and he played well. I expect ebbs and flows over the course of the year in terms of who plays, but it looks like right now Boeheim is committed to using 10 guys.
- No Trevor Cooney however, which means he may redshirt. It's crazy to think a player as good as Cooney might wait a year, but that's just how deep this team is. In the long run, I'm fine with this move.
- Michael Carter-Williams probably had the roughest game of any SU player, but JB played him extensively anyway. He'll have the first half of the season to work out the kinks and come Big East play he'll either be ready or he will be sitting. Boeheim won't have a lot of tolerance for throwing balls into the stands against Georgetown.
- Speaking of which, you have to love Shaq for his Georgetown sucks line. I can't remember a player in my lifetime I came around on more than Shaq. When he was a young player and just running over everyone on the paint, I had no use for him. As he got older and started showing his personality more you can't help but enjoy the big fella's antics.
- Fab Melo didn't do too much, but he didn't really have to. From the two exhibition games its clear he's a much better player than last year. There was an important development with Fab this game -- I finally figured out who he looks like - Lou the Cop from the Simpsons.
|Lou the cop from the Simpsons and Fab Melo, separated at birth|
- Dion Waiters had an excellent game and I can't decide what's better -- watching Dion Waiters have a great game or watching Dion Waiters re-tweet every single person on Twitter who tells him he's great. Both are pretty spectacular.
It was a nice start for the Orange -- it is going to be a really fun year on the hardwood.