Sunday, August 5, 2012
Random Olympic Thoughts
I can totally handle getting into the Olympic spirit every four years. A week in, here are my quick thoughts on London 2012 so far.
* Am I the only one that really doesn't get the big deal over the tape delay fiasco?
* My 5 year old son is fascinated watching synchronized diving. While watching the women's competition the other night he asked me this as the Chinese divers took the platform, "Daddy are those boys?" Next question son.
* College football is on my mind: If the SEC were an Olympic event, it would be the 100m sprint (speed, showcase event).
* If the Big East were an Olympic event it would be the modern pentathlon (pistol shooting, cross country running, swimming and show jumping go together like Boise State, San Diego State, Central Florida and Rutgers).
* While flipping through some handball action, I was overjoyed to hear Celtics announcer Mike Gorman doing the play-by-play. Fans of '80s Big East broadcasts will remember him as the voice of Big East Network games and ESPN's Big Monday. I'd be shocked to learn "broadcast international handball competition" was on Mike's bucket list. Still it's great to hear that voice again. "Denmaaaahhhk, time out!"
* After a trip to the water park with my little guy last week, I'm determined to make competitive water sliding an Olympic event. Water luge anyone?
* Carmelo really thrives in the international game.
* There was a guy in the rifle competition that looked a lot like former Yankee Hideki Irabu.
* Water polo looks like a lot of fun to play (in my in-laws' pool where I can touch bottom).
* I'm still waiting for the Really Rottens team to try and sabotage an event or two: